A common but often undetected ailment that can arise and do harm to your oral health is due to grinding teeth when you sleep. Even though you may not be aware of the condition, it could be occurring as you sleep. This condition is known as bruxism and can wear down your teeth and gums over time. To help determine if bruxism is taking place, monitor and inspect your mouth each morning when you wake up and look for the following symptoms:
– If you’re experiencing any headaches or earaches, but it feels as if they are not originating in your ears and the headaches are coming from your temples, it may be linked to bruxism.
– Always inspect the inner linings of your cheek tissue to see if any damage has occurred. If it appears that damage is present and looks like you’ve been chewing on the inner lining of your cheeks, it may be linked to bruxism at night.
– Common symptoms of bruxism that can often arise are strange indentations or markings on your tongue.
– Bruxism arises due to grinding of your teeth which may be loud enough to awaken any sleep partners or roommates you may have.
– Examine your teeth to determine if they are flat or worn or appear to be exposing deeper layers of your teeth.
– If you’re experiencing any jaw or face pain, or have increased tooth sensitivity in the mornings, you may be grinding your teeth at night.
If you want bruxism treatments in Westlake Village, California, Finesse Dental Care would love to assist you. For a thorough examination to determine which treatment will work best for you, you can set an appointment with Dr. Steven Hever by calling our dentist office at (805) 742-4749.